Saturday, April 18, 2015

Apr 18-19 - Romans 3:23

For all have sinned and

fall short of the glory of God

Romans 3:23

ESV

 

My boys always hated when I was in charge!

 

When these three spirited youngsters would get into their inevitable spats, they’d come crying for justice. Their mom would mete out punishment proportionately. You caused 60% of the problem; therefore, you get 60% of the punishment. It was fair.

 

When I was in charge, I’d say, “Both of you … go to your rooms!”

 

They’d argue. “But he did this,” and “Well, he started that.”

 

I said, “I don’t care. It takes two to fight. That means both of you are guilty. Go to your rooms.”

 

That’s true in marriages too. “All [of us] have sinned and fall short.” Therefore, do you know what the two most important words in the world are? Arguably, the two most life-givng words in our arsenal are, “I’m sorry.”

 

Whether you bear 1% of the guilt or 99% of the guilt, you have something you can (and probably need to) apologize for. Take responsibility for that.

 

I mean, even when I didn’t start a fight – or even when I don’t feel like I did – I still often respond! I sometimes snap back. I talk disrespectfully. Even when I don’t start a fight, I’m part of the fight. I need to take responsibility for that.

 

But if I say those two powerful words, “I’m sorry,” I stop the fight in its tracks. I’ve humbled myself. I’ve admitted that I own a part of the conflict. And I’ve admitted that reconciliation is more important to me than being right.

 

You “own” at least part of every conflict. Try using those two powerful words … a lot.

 

QUESTION: Why not try it? Start saying “sorry” ... a lot!

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy who is indeed

sorry … a lot

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment