Thursday, March 8, 2018

Lent - Mar 9 - 1 Corinthians 10:13

B r a d   A l e x a n d e r

1 Corinthians 10:13

No temptation has overtaken

you that is not common to man.

God is faithful, and he will not let

you be tempted beyond your ability,

but with the temptation he will

also provide the way of escape,

that you may be able to endure it.

 

No temptation [regardless of its source] has overtaken or enticed you that is not common to human experience [nor is any temptation unusual or beyond human resistance]; but God is faithful [to His word—He is compassionate and trustworthy], and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability [to resist], but along with the temptation He [has in the past and is now and] will [always] provide the way out as well, so that you will be able to endure it [without yielding, and will overcome temptation with joy]. (AMP)

 

This chapter’s title in the Amplified Bible is “Avoid Israel’s Mistakes”, so how does the rest of this chapter help me to find the true message that our Father has for me in this verse.  

 

In verse 13, I see that I am not unique, what happens to me, is “common” to others.  Paul had recapped this for me in the first part of Chapter 13.  Israel, God’s chosen people, struggled with idolatry and sexual immorality, after He had brought them out of Egypt and slavery.  Paul continues in verse 12 to tell us that “let the one who thinks he stands firm [immune to temptation, being overconfident and self-righteous], take care that he does not fall [into sin and condemnation].  So I am not unique nor immune to struggles. 

 

Also, God is faithful to His Word, meaning that I have to know what His Word says.  And that the “way out” will still be something that I will need to “endure”, that is, I may have created the situation I find myself in by my own actions.  And since I have some knowledge of His Word, I know that the “way out” might be a Brother or Sister in Christ coming along side of me to help me, if I will let them. 

 

Father, help me to remember, I am not unique in my temp-tations and You will help me to resist and endure. Amen.

 

Brad Alexander

 

No comments:

Post a Comment