Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Lent - Mar 15 - John 3:30

C a r o l e   K i n g

John 3:30

“He must increase;

I must decrease.”

 

This verse is a response John the Baptist gives to one of his followers about, as it says in my Bible, a certain Jew and the matter of ceremonial washing. John’s followers were telling him that the man he testified about was now baptizing other people across the river. John told his followers that they can testify that he said he is not the Messiah but was sent ahead of him. 

 

With this John goes on and tells them that He, as in Jesus, must become greater, and I must become less. In our lives, we should be like John in this instance; this verse is how we should really live our lives. Sadly, in this day and age, we are told different by the world. Being a young adult at this point in time is quite confusing, at least internally. I let myself get too clustered in my life and I forget to go to God for my needs and prayers. I have struggled with mild depression since 7th/8th grade, and it’s been a battle mentally. A lot of the time I wrestle with self-doubt and whether or not I’m good enough. With the constant jumble of my thoughts of doubt and distractions, with the constant struggle of trying to ‘fit in’ or stand out, the focus is no longer on God, as it should be. 

 

This verse is a breath of fresh air. It is not saying to decrease your self-worth, but to increase, or make the focus on God greater and what your life should be about. When you become less, you give those distractions, business, and doubt to God to worry about. If we give the focus back to God, you will have peace. This life isn’t about trying to be better, it’s about letting go and letting God. 

 

Carole King 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment