Thursday, March 1, 2018

Lent - Mar 1 - Luke 23:43

R o n   A u g u s t s o n

Luke 23:43

And he said to him,

“Truly, I say to you,

today you will be

with me in Paradise.”

 

The son of God was dying and in a very painful, horrible way. Not a Godly but a most humanly way.

 

In the midst of this, Jesus reminds us that HE is God, the son of the God the Father. He forgives a “unforgiveable” sinner/thief because the thief believes in Him and asks for forgiveness. Jesus “proves” He is God by granting that forgiveness and gives him eternal life with God in Paradise, just by Grace. I realize that the thief will not have the chance to grow in his spiritual life nor participate in any church. He just believed and God just forgave! That’s what Christ came to earth to give us thru his dying, Grace because of Love. (And He gave it to the thief in one minute.)

 

I am in some ways more fortunate than the thief in that I can experience God’s grace for more than a minute, for a long life of 79 years so far. But I want and need to reach out to Jesus in as deep a way as that thief.

 

And I’m not there yet, nor will I ever be able on my own. I know that I need God’s taking over my life, and He will only do that if I ask Him to do that. I try to do that but I continually need Christ’s presence and  help.

 

Ron Augustson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment