Sunday, June 21, 2015

Jun 22 (May 7) - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

For some reason this devotion didn’t get sent out to most of my groups. Therefore, I’m sending it again!

 

Love is patient and kind;

love does not envy or boast;

it is not arrogant or rude.

It does not insist on its own way;

it is not irritable or resentful;

it does not rejoice at wrongdoing,

but rejoices with the truth.

Love bears all things,

believes all things,

hopes all things,

endures all things.

Love never ends.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

 

I sat in a new member class just the other day, describing the purpose of our AWANA ministry. “The heart of this ministry,” I said, “is Scripture memorization. We’re sowing the word of God deep in children’s hearts.”

 

“Oh, I need that!” said a young mother, as I was relating the testimony of one of our AWANA kids who majestically navigated a painful transition by the power of the verses she memorized. 

 

Jeremiah 29:11 was her hope and assurance: “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ’plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”

 

What could have been a painful, God-blaming time for this young girl became a time of trust, faith, hope, and victory. 

 

“Oh, I need that!” said that mom. 

 

1 Corinthians 13:4-8a is full of simple promises and assurances. It’s simple wisdom. It’s also a powerful call to action!

 

Over the next few days, I’m going to unfold the simple, powerful logic to these verses ... AND ... while I’m analyzing different parts, I’m going to invite you to memorize the whole. 

 

I know. I know. I can already hear you saying, “But I can’t memorize things.” That’s a lie. From Satan. He doesn’t want you equipped and defended by “the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.”

 

Memorization: Right now, read this passage out loud five times. Then see how far you can get with the simple, powerful logic to these verses. (We’ll learn a little more tomorrow as you put this piece of armor over your heart and your marriage.)

 

Question: If our four year olds can learn a verse a week, why are you balking and complaining?!

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy who is patient and kind

.:. patient and kind enough to

kindly obey this pastoral advice

and patient learn a short passage

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment