Monday, October 4, 2010

October 4 - Isaiah 45:23

I have sworn by my own name,
and I will never go back on my word:
Every knee will bow to me,
and every tongue will confess
allegiance to my name."
Isaiah 45:23
 
When we borrow money, we have to put up collateral. Sometimes a person's house can serve as collateral -- meaning, if you run away with the car that you borrowed the money to purchase, the bank can come and take away your house. Ouch.
 
Other times it's simply a person's good name that serves as their collateral. You are essentially saying, "by my good name I promise to repay this debt." And if your name is good enough -- and your credit score high enough -- they'll lend you money based just on your own good name.
 
In Isaiah 45, God says, "20 What fools they are who carry around their wooden idols and pray to gods that cannot save! ... 23 By my [own good] name ... I have sworn [that] ... 22 all the world [can] look to me for salvation." 
 
Some of the world takes God at his word through the collateral of his own good name. Others don't. They choose wooden idols and false priorities.
 
That sounds pitiful ... until we admit that we do this too. What false priorities -- big or probably small -- do you trust in rather than bowing your knee to God and taking him at his name?
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who's relied in his own good name
rather than on God's good name
from time to time

No comments:

Post a Comment