Friday, April 10, 2009

Psalm 71

Today is Good Friday.

It is the day Jesus gave his life for us on the cross.

Therefore, I can't help it. On this day of darkness, love, and sacrifice, I can't help but hear this Psalm as it was being prayed from Jesus' nail-scarred perspective.

It was the first few words that did it. I could immediately hear the cry as if it came from the one who was battered and bruised upon the cross: "1 O LORD, you are my refuge; never let me be disgraced."

A few hours before the crucifixion, Jesus prayed the garden: "Let this cup pass from me." It was a "2 Rescue me! Save me ... !"-type-of-prayer. And just as in the garden, I have no trouble believing that in the midst of his agony his prayers oscillated on the cross -- as they did in the garden -- between "2 turn your ear to listen and set me free" and "not my will but thy will be done."

In the wilderness at the beginning of his ministry, Satan tempted Jesus by encouraging him to leap from a cliff. Why? Because legions of angels would catch him and bear him up. Do we have any doubt, therefore, that on the day that evil tried to conquer, that Satan was tempting again? When the crowds mocked, "Come down from that cross," I'm sure that evil was urging the Messiah to say, "3 Give the order to save [yourself]," cry out to your legions of angels, "4 rescue me from ... the clutches of cruel oppressors." But obviously, the winning cry from Jesus' heart was: "5 O Lord, you alone are my hope ... 6 [Y]ou have been with me from birth; from my mother's womb you have cared for me. No wonder I am always praising you!" Indeed, is it any wonder that Jesus cried, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit"?

We could keep on with the parallels to the cross -- "10 my enemies are whispering against me. They are plotting together to kill me. 11 They say, "God has abandoned him." Yes, we could surely keep on with these similarities, but here's where I want to land to today ... Can't you imagine Jesus saying, "7 My life is an example to many, because you have been my strength and protection. 8 That is why I can never stop praising you."

How is Jesus -- especially on Good Friday -- an example to us?

How? Because we each face trials and temptations. And see if the words of the Psalmist -- and the witness of our crucified savior -- aren't infinitely better ways to deal with trials than the world's ways of stress, anger, withdrawal, and depression.

+ Hope + "14 I will keep on hoping for you to help me."
+ Praise + "14 I will praise you more and more."
+ Remembrance of Help in Former Circumstances + "15 All day long I will proclaim your saving power, for I am overwhelmed by how much you have done for me."
+ Witness to Help in Former Circumstances + "15 I will tell everyone about your righteousness."
+ An Unwillingness to Give Up + "18 Now that I am old and gray ... let me proclaim your power to this new generation ... to all who come after me."
+ Perspective + "20 You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but you will restore me to life again."
+ Thanksgiving + "23 I will shout for joy and sing your praises, for you have redeemed me."

Prayer: verse 3 of the classic Good Friday Hymn,
O Sacred Head Now Wounded

What language shall I borrow
to thank thee, dearest friend,
for this thy dying sorrow,
thy pity without end?
O make me thine forever;
and should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never
outlive my love for thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment