Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Psalm 69

Quicksand.

David describes it like this: "2 Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can't find a foothold to stand on. ... 3 I am exhausted from crying for help."

Quicksand. "1 Floodwaters." Have you ever felt like you were going under?

I've had many friends with chronic illnesses. Some are in constant pain. Some are exhausted by disease. Some have taught me a great deal about true faith. Think about an illness that never seems to get better and pain that only grows worse: "13 But I keep right on praying to you, LORD, hoping this is the time you will show me favor."

David talks about "22 the bountiful table set before [us] becom[ing] a snare." I don't know about you, but when things are good, I generally pat myself on the back rather than patting God on the back and saying thanks. The great irony of the faith is that bounty can often lead to selfishness while pain often leads to faith.

I was showing this pattern to the kids in youth group last night, and I said, "So who wants to pray for really bad times so that our faith can grow." Zero hands went up. Imagine that.

So maybe that's not the key. What is? A seventh grader, wise beyond his years, said, "Maybe in good times we should say thanks." Thankfulness points us beyond ourselves -- which is the trap of good times and plenty.

Therefore, the secret is being thankful in good times and staying connected in bad times. So do turn away when times are hard, "13 but I keep right on praying to you."

Gracious God, like all people, I have hard times in my life.
"15 Don't let the floods [which are _______] overwhelm me."
I am "1 up to my neck [with _______];
"14 pull me out of the mud [and] don't let me sink any deeper!"
"30 I will honor [you] with thanksgiving,
31 for this will please [you] more than sacrificing an ox."
Help me to embrace the harder times and make me more humble
for "32 the humble will see their God at work and be glad."
Help me see you in all circumstances God and "32 live in [greater] joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment