Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Psalm 55

Have you ever wanted to escape?

Have you ever said, "6 I wish I had wings like a dove; then I would fly away"?

Have words ever drifted through your brain like ... "2 overwhelmed by ... 3 wicked threats ... bring[ing] trouble ... hunting me down in their anger ... 4 heart in anguish ... terror ... death overpowers ... 5 I can't stop shaking"? Indeed, have you ever had a no-good, very bad day? Well, this is the Psalm for days like this.

In life, three perils threaten to sink us.

The first threat is external dangers. That's why we constantly keep our defenses up. Nowadays, think of today's economic woes. How many of you are on the alert and are being more careful with your money? Naturally! Like a great city, our "10 walls [must be] patrolled day and night against invaders" and other external perils.

Our second threat is internal. It's natural to blame external situations like the economy for many of our woes, but sometimes "10 the real danger is [the] wickedness within the city." Indeed, sometimes the real hazard is within each of us. Blame, guilt, anger, addiction, bitterness, envy, and greed constitute our own special recipes for our own unique struggles.

The third threat is relational.

Woven into the core of every human heart is the overwhelming NEED for relationships. And yet, how many of us have ever said like David, "20 as for this friend of mine, he betrayed me; he broke his promises. 21 His words are as smooth as cream ... but underneath are daggers"?

David's probably talking here about the jealous King Saul -- once his friend, not his pursuer. But the issue is not David. It's you and me. Therefore, the question is, how many of us have ever felt betrayed? And most days the answer is not "have I ever felt betrayed?" but "how many times today have I felt betrayed?"

We NEED relationships. David had once put his faith in the character of another person. Now, I'd sure rather us trust than go through life cynical, but if we put our faith in others we'll constantly be let down.

Therefore, what does David model tell us that we should do? "22 Give your burdens to the LORD, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall."That's the real relationship that we need!

Lord, there are external worries in my life
.... but I give my burdens to you.
Lord, I have internal doubts and struggles
.... but I give my burdens to you.
Lord, other people let me down again and again
.... but I give my burdens to you.
You are the real relationship I need.
You are the real hope I will pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment