Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Psalm 57 - part II

FROM A SERIES ON PRAYER PETITIONS IN JANUARY (and just to show you that the same text can speak in two totally different ways on two totally different days.)

What is prayer?


I suspect that most of us would say that Exodus 2 is a pretty good example of what prayer is all about: "23 The Israelites groaned under their slavery, and ... their cry for help rose up to God. 24 God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob." Indeed, in the next few verses, God answered their prayer by raising up for them a deliver, Moses."

That's prayer, right? We cry. God answers.


Well, for a few weeks we're been journeying through the ACTS model for prayer, and today we come to the meat. Today the S stands for Supplications -- a fancy word that means to cry out like the Israelites ... to ask God ... to humbly request. Indeed, when most of us think about prayer, we think about the petitions (requests) we make for God and others.


Isn't that how you really define the meat of prayer? The requests.


The ACTS model -- Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving ... all before the Supplications and Petitions -- helps us do something important before we ever reach the requests. We point beyond ourselves first -- to God in wonder -- before we point inward toward what we want for ourselves and others.


Out before in ... and up before anything else.


And yet ... God wants us to tell Him what we desire!!! He chose the image of Father to define himself -- a loving father, a generous provider. Jesus himself furthered this image. While talking specifically about prayer, Jesus assured us that if earthly fathers in their love will supply a child's needs -- giving a fish instead of snake -- "how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" (Matt 7:10-11)


It's not selfish or wrong to ask for what you want and need, any more than it would be wrong for a three-year-old to say to her daddy, "I'm hungry." Sometimes a loving father will say, "No snacks before dinner" or "How about a carrot instead of a cookie." But to ask was trust. And to answer in a time and a manner that helps us is wise and loving.


But the Father wants us to ask.

He wants that trusting relationship.

Nothing is too big. Nothing is too small.


If we ask for a Matthew 7 snake, he may lovingly say no. If we ask thinking that everything is ready and everything is right, he may say wait. But he wants us to ask ... and trust ... and be bold.

Psalm 57 is a series of requests from David. Let's personalize this into our prayer today. (And before you begin, notice the notation at the beginning of Psalm. "The time he fled" means "Saul" and life's troubles are chasing him again. "To be sung to the tune of 'Do Not Destroy!'" means that we'd better sing/read this with the note of desperation. Indeed, from the source of your greatest concern let us begin praying today ...)


1 Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy!

I have a concern I'm bringing to you today.


I look to you for protection.

The earthly solutions aren't working (anymore).


I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until this violent storm is past.

King David looked for a "cave," but he and I know that the shelter

of your wings is far greater than even a strong rock.

So I come to you.


2 I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me.

And I come asking ... what is your purpose for me, O God?

And I come praying ... answer me in whatever way draws me closer

to your plans for my good ... and for my greater purpose.


3 He will send help from heaven to save me,

rescuing me from those who are out to get me.

I trust in that! I trust that you will!

I trust in your power, your love, your protection, your grace,

and your wisdom that decides how and when.


My God will send forth his unfailing love and faithfulness.

I trust, indeed.


4 I am surrounded by fierce lions who greedily devour human prey

– whose teeth pierce like spears and arrows, and whose tongues cut like swords.

Lord, the greatest concern(s) in my life

are tearing at my heart like arrows, teeth, and spears.


5 Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens! May your glory shine over all the earth.

Neverthless, I praise you.

I hurt. I worry.

But my hope and joy are in you.

May your glory shine!


6 My enemies have set a trap for me.

My greatest concern -- whether it's illness

... or depression ... or a financial crisis ...

or division between me and a person I care about

... or anger ... or addiction ...

I can't help the way it feels

... it's like an ever-present enemy stalking me.


I am weary from distress.

And I'm sometimes having trouble sleeping because of it.


They have dug a deep pit in my path,

Indeed, I feel hunted, unsafe, vulnerable.


but they themselves have fallen into it.

But sin never ultimately wins in your world.

Neither does illness or death.

On the cross, O Lord, you conquered both.

Help me focus there instead of on my worries and concerns.


7 My heart is confident in you, O God; no wonder I can sing your praises!

Your cross, your love, your grace give me unending hope.


8 Wake up, my soul!

Therefore, since I'm tired of wallowing in my pain,

I pray: Revive my soul. Revive my hope. Revive my joy.


Wake up, O harp and lyre! I will waken the dawn with my song.

I want to sing again!


9 I will thank you, Lord, in front of all the people.

I will sing your praises among the nations.

Therefore -- having prayed for my concern and ready to sing --

I'm going confidently to turn now to you in praise and thanksgiving.

Why?


10 For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens.

Because your power is so far above my momentary concerns.

and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

Therefore, in your wisdom and power

I trust you to be faithful and attentive to my simplest cares.


11 Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens.

May your glory shine over all the earth.

Therefore, O Lord, I will praise you.

I will praise you!

May your glory shine over all the earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment