Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Psalm 54

How's this for a headline: "One of the World's Greatest Hunters Decides to Hunt the World's Most Clever Prey: People."

That, you may remember, was the fictional theme of an old Gilligan's Island episode.

It wasn't fictional, however, for David. Our Psalm for today begins -- in the notations -- with these haunting words: "1 A meditation of David, regarding the time the Ziphites came and said to Saul, 'We know where David is hiding.'"

The hunt was on, and David was the prey. Therefore, "1 come with great power, O God," he cried, "and rescue me!"

For me the most important word in this prayer is in verse 7. It is the word "WILL." In earthly terms, the world has David in its gun-scope sights. But David's sight stretches above and beyond the earth. David concludes, "7 for you WILL rescue me."

"Fear" is one of the most debilitating forces in all of creation. It eats at our faith. It constantly erodes our footing, like waves breaking upon the sand. Therefore, David's words, "YOU WILL," are one of the great keys to faith and life. In worship we sing, "on Christ the solid rock I stand"; the confidence of "YOU WILL" is the alternative to "all other ground is sinking sand."

Lately my bride has picked back up an old book. Its message is simple. Instead of praying, "O God, will you?" -- a request -- pray as if God has already answered your prayers --

"O God ...
You HAVE rescued me (even though I might not see it yet) ...
You HAVE comforted me (even though I might not feel it yet) ...
You HAVE freed me (even though
it feels like I'm still climbing out of the chains of bondage) ...
You HAVE given me hope (even though
my understanding hasn't caught up with your grace) ...
You HAVE forgiven me (even though I can't forgive myself just yet) ...
You HAVE healed me (even though I don't know
what healing looks like yet) ...
Lord, I WILL trust in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment