Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Psalm 70

At the beginning of most Psalms is a small print notation. This is actually part of scripture, and today's reads: "A psalm of David, to bring us to the LORD's remembrance."

The phrase -- "to bring us to the Lord's remembrance" -- has a wonderful, old fashioned flavor. The classic holy week song sings the same kind of sentiment more directly: "Jesus, remember me, when you come into your kingdom." "Jesus, remember me," came from the mouth of one of the criminals who was dying on the cross. David's situation -- or your situation or mine -- may not be quite as dire as the criminal on the cross; nevertheless, David has a similarly plaintive set of words in today's Psalm: "1 Please, God, rescue me! 5 I am poor and needy; please hurry to my aid."

That's the context.
Worry. Fear. Desperation.

A lot of Psalms are like that.

Here's what sets this Psalm apart for me: "4 May all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness."
The me, myself, and I's of the heartfelt cries in the rest of the Psalm suddenly give way to a deeper concern for others.

Yes, we all have moments of "1 rescue me," but it's not just about "me." David's deeper cry is that all of the ups and downs of life may cause all of us to "4 search for [God]" and not just search for him, but find in him "4 joy and gladness."

Paul put that same sentiment in this way -- Acts 17:27-28 -- "27 ... so that [we] would search for God and perhaps grope for him and find him—though indeed he is not far from each one of us. 28 For 'In him we live and move and have our being.'"

That's what this Psalm is about for me. David wants us all to find frequent occasions to "4 repeatedly shout, 'God is great!'" Why? Because it's both the heartfelt cries and the shouts of joy that "bring us [indeed] to the Lord's remembrance." It's both. (And actually our prayers probably bring God the greatest joy when we cry both simultaneously. It's the praises from the pit that are, perhaps, the truest praise.)

David models just that in the last verse of today's Psalm. He cries in urgent desperation, "5
please hurry to my aid, O God," and then in the same breath he cries out in confidence, "5 [because] you are my helper." Confidence, faith, and trust are forms of praise.

In a world of distraction,
you are God!
"4 [You are] great"
and greatly to be praise.
You are bigger than my obstacles.
You are light in my darkness.
You are God, my God,
and I worship you.
Help me in my need.

No comments:

Post a Comment