Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Psalm 53

How do you spell "sin"?

It sounds like a simple question, but today David gives us ten alternative spellings:
+ "1 fool[ishness]"
+ "1 corrupt[ion]"
+ "1 evil ... actions"
+ "1 no[t] do[ing] good"
+ faithlessness (i.e. "1 say[ing], "There is no God.")
+ inattentiveness (i.e. a lack of "2 real understanding" and "never [choosing to] learn")
+ laziness (i.e. a failure to "seek[] for God")
+ wrong direction (i.e. "3 turn[ing] away from God")
+ unloving and uncaring (i.e. "4 they eat my people up like bread")
+ prayerlessness (i.e. "4 they wouldn't think of praying to God")

When I read the headlines each day, I constantly add new spellings to my vocabulary for sin. For example, yesterday's headlines told of 19-year-old charges in deadly arsons (plural) and of a 3rd grader who won't be tried as an adult for murders (plural again). I wouldn't be surprised if the Psalmist had the daily paper beside him when he wrote this Psalm: "2 God looks down from heaven on the entire human race; he looks to see if there is even one with real understanding, one who seeks for God. 3 But no, all have turned away from God."

My temptation is to argue with the word "all" in David's last sentence, but "all" isn't my real problem with that statement. I believe "all" is absolutely true if we adjust the verb tense just a bit. Why? Because I believe "3 all [do] turn[] away from God."

Think about it. How many times a day do we turn toward God ... then away ... then forward ... then back ... We're like the rabbits in the old-fashioned shooting game at the arcades. They turn forward and back and forth and back and forth so constantly that they're hard to hit -- and we're hard to define. "6 Oh, that salvation would come ...!"

Were is our hope to come from? Take a look at all those spellings of sin -- including "wildly inconsistent." Even at our very best, the back and forth will occasionally be spelled "backslide." Which means hope cannot come from us. We cannot save ourselves.

Fortunately, we -- with David -- can look forward with confidence to "6 when God restores his people." "6 Shout with joy!" The ultimate restoration occurred on the cross. But "6 rejoice" for daily restorations occur too. And who does the action? Did David say, "When I restore myself"? Of course not. No matter how bad the headlines look -- and "headlines," by the way, are often another spelling of "sin" -- God's grace is bigger than human sin.

Gracious Lord,
today I choose to "6 shout with joy."
If I pick up the paper, the headlines will scream sin.
My life will too frequently rock back and forth.
Someone will hurt and betray me.
But your grace conquers all.

No comments:

Post a Comment