Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Psalm 57

"2 I cry out to ... God who will fulfill his purposes for me."

What are God's purposes for you? And ... what keeps you from seeing God's purposes? That's the more important question.

What could have kept David from seeing God's purposes?

+ He was "1 fle[eing] from Saul and [hiding] in[ a] cave." Oppression that plunges us into darkness can keep us from seeing God's purposes.

+ He was in the midst of a "1 violent storm." How often do the storms and trials of our lives cause us to focus downward on the things of this earth instead of focusing upwards on the purposes of heaven?

+ He was "4 surrounded by fierce lions who [were hungry to] devour human prey." There are moments in history when everything is black and white and the forces of evil are as obvious as lions crouching at our door. Most of the time, however, most of us live in shades of gray. Who are subtle-shaded lions who seek to draw you from God and devour his purposes for you nibble by nibble?

David's in a cave, surrounded by fierce lions, so what does he do? He cries out, "Wake up, O God, and rescue me," right? Not quite. He cries, "8 Wake up, my soul." As it says in Psalm 121, "3 one who watches over you ... 4 ... never tires and never sleeps." God doesn't need to wake up, we do!

And the question is, what are the harps and lyres in your life? David says, "8 Wake up, O harp and lyre[ and] I will waken the dawn with my song." In our caves it's storming and dark, but our caves are largely how we react to situations. That's not to say that there aren't very real trials in life. But haven't you seen people sing praises in the midst of storms that would have capsized your boat? In the midst of their trials, they've awakened their harps and their lyres and the praise mechanisms within each of them.

What are the harps and lyres -- and praise mechanisms -- in your life? For me, it's you. You're my accountability partners. Too many days in a row without diving deeply into God's word, and I'm empty. So I listen ... and then I think ... and then I write. My computer keyboard is my praise mechanism. How about you?

What are God's purposes for me ... and you ... and all of creation? David finds it in the verse after his harp and lyre awake: "9 I will thank you, Lord, ... I will sing your praise."

Praise and thanksgiving.

That's our purpose in life. Why? Because if we're pointed up to God in praise and thanks, the rest of life begins to fall into place ... even in the midst of the storms.

Point me up, O Lord.
Help me to devote my time to
thanksgiving rather than worry
and praise rather than busyness.
Point me up so that when I look down
I can see you in the details
and hope in the storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment