Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Psalm 66

What is your purpose on this earth?

Pastor Rick Warren has spent his entire ministry researching, trying to answer that question. After a lifetime's worth of biblical analysis he's said that we have five purpose-driven reasons for being here.

Why am I telling you this? Because today's Psalm points us toward two of life's greatest purposes -- worship and evangelism. The pattern in today's Psalm is this: "God is '7 power[ful]'; therefore ..."

Let's look at God's power first. The Psalmist says, "5 Come and see what our God has done!" What would you put on your list of God's power? The Psalmist's list includes: "6 He made a dry path through the Red Sea." Power! "7 He watches every movement of the nations." From his powerful perch on high! "7 By his great power he rules forever." His omnipotence knows no end. "9 Our lives are in his hands." And he cares for us personally.

That's the pattern: God is powerful; therefore ... Therefore what? Tell God and tell the world! That's our purpose.

Tell God is worship. The Psalmist says, "3 Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!'" Indeed, part of "8 bless[ing] our God and sing[ing] aloud his praises" is listing all those deeds of power. Singing forth a list of God's praise not only honors the Lord but it constantly reminds our distractible consciences about why we praise!

It's like we cry "Oh yeah!" whenever we sing forth that list of praises. "17 [Oh yes! I remember when] I cried out to [the Lord] for help, praising him as I spoke. 18 ... I ... confessed the sin in my heart ... 19 ... God did listen! He paid attention to my prayer. 20 Praise God, who did not ignore my prayer and did not withdraw his unfailing love from me."

Our first purpose is to tell God how grateful we are for his power!

Our second purpose is to tell others. "2 Tell the world how glorious he is!"

The fact is this: 1) The world is lost and hungry. 2) God is powerful and can fulfill all those hungers. 3) How will they know?

Part of worship is not just telling God but telling others. Revealing God's light to others honors God more than just our simple praise. It's "praise plus ..." It's praise plus it invites others to praise too. It, indeed, multiplies the praise. And it multiplies the life of the hungry person.

Evangelism is a scary word for many. It seems to imply that "I have to have all the answers." No! All we have to do is say, "5 Come and see what our God has done ... [for me]." All we have to do is say, "I can't imagine my life without his love ... his forgiveness ... his peace ... his grace ...

Who do you know who needs a little more love, peace, or forgiveness? "2 Tell the world how glorious he is!"

Graciously Providing Lord,
I praise you for ____________ in my life.
And for ____________, ______________,
and ______________.
Show me who in my circle of acquaintances
needs a glimpse of that very grace, power, and love.
Give me the opportunity to share that with them
very, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment