Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Aug 27 - Psalm 86:11

Teach me your way, O Lord,
that I may walk in your truth;

give me an undivided heart

to revere your name.

Psalm 86:11

I remember walking through a campground with my dad. I showed him my cool "short-cut" to the shower room. 

On the way back, my dad was beginning to take the better traveled path. "Dad," I cried, "take the short-cut!"


He said, "Hmm. Let's try this. You take the 'short-cut' and I'll take this path here. Walk normal speed and let's see who gets there first."


He clearly beat me back to the camper. "Eddie, your route might be adventurous and fun, but it's not a short-cut ... because the shortest distance between two points is a straight line," he said pointing straight at the shower room and straight up his trail. 

"Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth." God's way is a straight line. And our short-cuts are usually not shorter! As it says in Proverbs 14:12, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death."


Therefore, we pray, "give me an undivided heart to revere your name." A "divided" heart is like a path that is forked. "God, work on my heart. Show me the straightest path between where I am and where you are." 

In Christ's Love,

a guy whose gotten lost

on more than one

supposed "short-cut"

No comments:

Post a Comment