Monday, August 17, 2015

Aug 15-16 - Psalm 84:3

With my whole being,

body and soul,

I will shout joyfully

to the living God.

Psalm 84:3

Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs personality inventory? It helps explain who you are (and maybe more importantly who your wife or your boss is!) through four simple -- but profound -- variables.

One is Thinking vs. Feeling.

We all think.

We all feel.

But which -- primarily -- drives you?

I was trying to explain to a Feeling Youth recently why their Thinking Parents didn't like drama! "They're methodical. They're Thinkers. They don't react! They don’t gasp or gossip or fret about the way things make you feel. ("Oh ... that explains a lot," said the teen.)

I'm a Thinker too. As a result, I tend to worship God (mostly) with my mind.

Therefore, today's Psalm calls me out of my comfort zone. It is a Feeling verse.

Yes, we should worship God with our mind. (My natural tendency.) But we should also worship God with the rest of our "body and soul" too! Our heart. Our feelings. Our joy. Our whole being.

We should dance. We should sing. We should rejoice. We should praise. We should study -- here's a thinking one. We should read the scriptures. We should be filled with holy laughter and deep lament (appropriate to the occasion, of course). We should love the Lord our God -- heart, soul, strength AND mind. We should worship God with our "whole being."

In Christ's Love,

a Deep Thinker who chooses to sing

(and therefore chooses to move a little ...

even though I don't have much rhythm)



No comments:

Post a Comment