Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Aug 20 - Psalm 84:10a

A single day in your courts is better

than a thousand anywhere else!

Psalm 84:10a

Last night I had a crazy dream
A wish was granted just for me
It could be for anything
I didn't ask for money
Or a mansion in Malibu
I simply wished

for one more day with you!

These are the lyrics is one of my favorite country songs. It's an absolutely beautiful ballad. A wholly devoted love song. 

Psalm 84:10 turns the world's logic 180 degrees. 


No matter how beautiful the song and no matter how sticky sweet the sentiment, if I wished for one more day with Mary Louise (and even if that wish was granted by the genie in the sky), that's all I'd get ... one more day. It might be a glorious day. But it's still only one day. 


In other words, even the best we can wish for on earth is merely sand in the hour glass. Fleeting. Falling. Failing. Finished. 


Gone. 


But what if I wished instead for time with God? What if I focused on heaven ... rather than the illusion of heaven on earth? No matter how temporarily fun life on this earth can be, fleeting, falling, failing, and finished is the best that this earth can ultimately offer. 


But guess what ...
If I want one more day with Mary Louise, all I have to do is focus on one more day with God! Faith grants the hope of a million million days  in heaven. I can spend them with Mary Louise! (And I think she's pretty glorious.) But even her "glory" will pale before God's Glory! I will be overwhelmed with light, hope, love, peace, and joy.


More time with Mary Louise -- even eternity -- is a magnificent side-benefit. The real prize is seeing God, face-to-face!


So think of your best day. Now multiply it by at least a thousand! If not a thousand million -- O Lord, "a 
single day in your courts is better than a thousand anywhere else!"


In Christ's Love,

a guy who's tired of the

saccharine sentiment of the world

(even though I love the melody

of earthly songs like "One More Day"),

I want music, sentiments, and hope

that are a thousand times better

than one more day here!



No comments:

Post a Comment