Saturday, February 9, 2013

Feb 9,10 - Psalm 108:12

Grant us your help against the enemy,
for human help is worthless.
Psalm 108:12

Too many people in history have been warriors. Even people who love God deeply occasionally find themselves in war. 

We should not provoke conflict -- especially for selfish gain. We should, as a rule, turn the other cheek. Nevertheless, even the most peace-loving person can occasionally be accosted by a true enemy.

The Psalmist was. Indeed, this portion of this Psalm was a cry for help in the midst of battle and persecution.

But it seems to me like more than that. 

It seems like hard-earned wisdom and a hard-learned statement of fact. The Psalmist appears to be saying, 

"God, I've tried relying on 'human help' 
more times than I can count. 
I'm finally admitting it's ultimately 'worthless.' 
And now I'm finally ready to humble my heart, 
and turn to my only hope ... You! 
Lord, 'grant us your help against this enemy.' 
Otherwise, we're ultimately doomed." 

Do you see that too? Hard-earned. Hard-learned. And yet ... finally ... very powerful.

In this life, enemies -- big and small -- will constantly encroach. Will you rely on human help -- the wisdom of friends, the strength of governments, or your own personal solutions? Or will put your trust in God?

As it says in Psalm 20:7, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."

In Christ's Love,
a guy who'd like a chariot
(especially one powered 
by a sleek Mustang)
but I'll seek instead
to be God-driven

No comments:

Post a Comment