Thursday, February 14, 2013

Feb 14 - DAY 2 - You Are Not an Accident

Day 2
You Are Not an Accident

You saw me before I was born
and scheduled each day of my life
before I began to breathe.
every day was recorded
in your book.
Psalm 139:16 LB

God makes appointments. He’s the master-scheduler.

Ten years ago and just an hour before I taught for the first time on Day 2’s reading in The Purpose-Driven Life, a young woman walked into my office. Her life was a mess. And it all started with her parents.

Too many people make their parents a scapegoat for their own failures. This woman didn’t. The pain and dysfunction in her family were real. She been abandoned repeatedly. Abused repeatedly. Blamed repeatedly. Scarred immeasurably.

Most days I might have floundered over what to say. But that day, the master-scheduler placed a book in my hand. “Page 23,” I said, “’While there are illegitimate parents, there are no illegitimate children … God never does anything accidentally, and he never makes mistakes.’ As the title of this chapter says, ‘You are not an accident.’”

Those weren’t my words. And in a sense, those aren’t even Rick Warren’s words either. Rather, they’re an echo from heaven and recorded in scripture. Indeed, “Long before he laid down the earth’s foundations, he had us in mind” (Eph 1:4a).

Indeed, long before God laid down the earth’s foundations, he had this appointment with this young lady in mind. I’d call it foreknowledge rather than predestination. And I’d call it purpose … and hope … and life … and comfort.

Watch today. What appointments does the master-scheduler have in store for you?

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who’s honored
to be in God’s date-book

No comments:

Post a Comment