Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Feb 20 - DAY 8 - Planned for God's Pleasure

Day 8
Planned for God’s Pleasure

worship him continually
Psalm 105:4 TEV

The first time I led a Purpose-Driven Life Study, I’d just arrived at a congregation that was in the middle of the worship wars – “traditional” vs. “contemporary.” Three months before I arrived, this old traditional congregation had started a new contemporary service … at the same time as another traditional service! People were coming into the church and turning left, right, and away from each other.

If worship is, as Rick Warren says, “bringing pleasure to God,” this congregation wasn’t producing much pleasure.

Pastor Warren’s words from today’s chapter eventually began to soothe those tensions. It’s not the style of music … it’s the heart behind it.

In fact, it’s not even about the music – though music can obviously play a tremendous role. So can the preaching … and the prayers … and the communion … and welcoming one another in peace … And yet, it’s not about any of these things either.

Here was the transformational part of today’s chapter for me – even as a seminary-trained pastor. Until Rick Warren said it, I don’t think I ever fully grasped that worship is not about me!!!

I pray that every Sunday you personally receive a blessing (or two … or twelve) out of worship. But that’s not the point of worship. Worship is about God – not you or me. Our focus should be directed at God – not our own wants, needs, or preferences.

Wait … all of the last paragraph is true. But reflexively, I subtly introduced a stereotype and error into this last paragraph.  Do you see it? I said, “every Sunday.” Rick Warren’s final – transformative – truth is that worship is not about Sundays! It’s 24/7 and 365 days-a-year. We are called to “worship him continually.”

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who thinks
this could be the most
important chapter
in our lives!




No comments:

Post a Comment