Thursday, February 7, 2013

Feb 7 - Proverbs 3:34

The Lord gives grace
to the humble.
Proverbs 3:34

What is humbleness?

The best place to start, perhaps, is to say what it’s not. The opposite of humbleness is pride.

There are two human conditions that draw us from God. The first is stubborn, willful, and unrepentant sin. This runs us intentionally in the wrong direction.

Pride is just the opposite. We fool ourselves into thinking that we know best. We lift our thoughts, words, deeds, and opinions above God’s. Though none of us looks in the mirror each morning and says, “I think I’ll be God today,” pride continually exults me, myself, and I. And when we puff ourselves up, we regularly cut others (including God) down to our size.

Do you see why God doesn’t looking to encourage that?!

The opposite is humility. When we are humble, we repent of our sins, we encourage others, and we listen to God.

Sometimes, sadly, the world tries to walk all over the meek. And sometimes it may seem like the humble get stepped on and the prideful win. But that’s only short-term and in this broken world.

Don’t be prideful, dwelling only on temporary situations. Be humble and trust in the graces that last forever.

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who’s humble
(Wait ... If I say that, am I really humble?
So let’s say …)
In Christ’s Love,
a guy who’s not humble.
(Wait … I don’t want to say that either.
So let’s just say …)
In Christ’s Love,
a guy who’s confused

No comments:

Post a Comment