Friday, November 25, 2011

Nov 25 - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

test everything;
hold fast to what is good
1 Thessalonians 5:21
You know what today's lesson is all about, right? False teachers and heresy were battering the Thessalonians. Paul, therefore, was advising them to test every teacher's teachings by comparing it to the standard of scripture.
That's what this verse is about ... but I'm going to butcher it a little bit today (worse, I'm afraid, than I mangled the turkey I cut into yesterday).
My son Jay is at home this weekend. He said to me the other day, "Dad, I can't wait until Friday. I think that's my favorite day of the year!"
While much of America calls this day "Black Friday," for us it is green. We drive out to a Christmas tree farm and cut down our own tree. As we bring it home and decorate it, we make Chex mix and turn on the movie "It's a Wonderful Life." By the time the tree is decorated, the Chex mix is ready. We get a bowl for snacks and a cup of egg nog and cry through the end of our favorite movie.
It's a great day.
It's a tradition.
As we start the Christmas season, I pray that you have some favorite traditions. And if not ... start some!!! Test them all -- as our lesson kind of suggest -- and hold fast to what is good.
Why? Because as we hold fast to family traditions, we often wind up holding more fast to one another.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who can't wait
for the Chex Mix
(it's even better than turkey!)

No comments:

Post a Comment