Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nov 16 - James 2:17

So faith by itself,
if it has no works,
is dead.
James 2:17
In Romans 3:23-28, Paul gives us the formula for salvation. He says,
Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God;
they are now justified by his grace as a gift,
... effective through faith ...
apart from works prescribed by the law.
If we wrote that out mathematically, we'd have ...
Justification + Grace + Faith + Works = Salvation
Paul, just said, however, that our salvation does not hinge on our works, therefore, in mathematical terms, 
Works = 0
or
Justification + Grace + Faith = Salvation
Martin Luther absolutely latched onto this powerful concept. He'd grown up in an age when "Works = 100%," and when he learned that "God's love and grace = 100%," his tortured soul was absolutely set free.
But then a problem emerged. He read James. James seems to say that ...
Works = Faith
Luther, therefore -- and quite literally -- wanted to cut the book of James out of the Bible. 
I like people with passion. But Luther needn't have worried. James does not contradict Paul.
James was just talking about a different part of life and theology. While Paul was talking "in order to," James was talking, "because I'm." Read the following two statements and see if you see the difference:
I do works in order to be saved. (No!)
I do works because I'm saved. (Yes!)
Paul rejected the first statement. And Luther absolutely rejoiced in rejecting that first statement along with Paul. Our works don't save us. Works = 0.
James, however, celebrated the second statement. "I do good works -- not to be saved -- but because I'm saved!" 
Because I'm saved,
I want to love my neighbor,
I want to quit stealing from my brother,
I want to honor God's commands.
James is not legalistic. Like Paul, James is talking about living freely and boldly.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who liked numbers and math
more than words and grammar
(could you guess?)

No comments:

Post a Comment