Sunday, November 20, 2011

Nov 20 - Galatians 5:22

By contrast,
the fruit of the Spirit is ...
Galatians 5:22
Hopefully you can sing the fruits of the spirit by heart ...
Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self-Control
Who creates, inspires, and instills them? The Holy Spirit. Which means what? On our own, we are not truly and totally loving, patient, or self-controlled.
Is that true for you? It is for me! I am by nature self-centered, impatient, and impetuous. In fact, on my own, I am a prisoner of my flesh.
Today -- and probably today only -- I'll argue that the most important words in today's verse are "by contrast." Paul is contrasting God's awesome power and our week flesh. Indeed he says -- Galatians 5:19-21 -- that "the works of the flesh are obvious." (At least mentally, circle the ones that describe you ...)
sexual immorality, impure thoughts,
eagerness for lustful pleasure, 
idolatry, participation in demonic activities,
hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger,
selfish ambition, divisions,
the feeling that everyone is wrong
except those in your own little group, 
envy, drunkenness, wild parties,
and other kinds of sin.
Ouch!! At one time or another, I've been guilty of most of those. How about you?
That's me on my own. Thanks be to God that he's invited me and empowers me to participate in love, joy, and peace.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who's deceiving himself
if he thinks he can do
any good by himself
(but I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
and the Spirit who inspires me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment