Saturday, November 19, 2011

Nov 19 - Galatians 1:10

If I were still pleasing people,
I would not be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10
I was listening last night to a Christian Radio program on forgiveness.
Most of the show focused brilliantly on learning the powerful humbling art of asking for forgiveness. But for about twenty-seconds, they focused on the people who are chronic apologizers:
"Oh, I'm sorry, Ed, for your plane being late.
How can I make it up to you."
"You didn't make my plane late. It's not your fault."
"Oh, I'm sorry for getting you upset."
"I'm not upset. I'm ..."
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Can I wash your car?"
Do you know any chronic-conflict-avoiders?!!
The Apostle Paul wasn't one of them! In fact, in 2 Timothy 4, Paul said,
3 For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.
Rather than being a people-pleaser, Paul urges all of us to always speak the truth.
Now, some people use the call to "speak the truth" as an excuse to be chronic-conflict-creators! They'll blurt out anything and constantly hurt feelings in the process.
That's not it. Paul urges us, in Ephesians 4:15, "speak the truth in love." Why? Because if they know our love, they're more likely to listen to the truth we represent.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who want's to be
a people-lover
not a people-pleaser 

No comments:

Post a Comment