Saturday, September 6, 2014

Sept 6-7 - Psalm 31:1b

Rescue me, for you

always do what is right

Psalm 31:1b

If God always does what is right, will he always rescue us?

While I can't claim anywhere near the love and perfection of the heavenly Father, I can draw wisdom from the fact that as a loving Father I didn't always rescue my kids.

Rather than rescue them from the messes they'd made, I sometimes I let them suffer the consequences of their actions. And rather than jumping in too quickly to solve every problem, I'd sometimes let them figure things out for themselves.

So is "Rescue me, for you always do what is right" a wise and faithful prayer or a selfish and naive prayer?

I compare it Jesus' trusting prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. Just moments before he was betrayed and just hours before he would be crucified, Jesus prayed, "Let this cup (this fate) pass from me." "Save me," was his plea. Like the Psalmist, he was crying, "Rescue me."

But then he added a faithful and trusting caveat: "But not my will, but thy will be done." He was saying, "In spite of my strong personal desires in this matter, I will trust in your decisions, for you always do what is right."

This is a prayer of honest and trusting faith! "I know what I want -- help and rescue -- but if it doesn't come about (in my preferred time), I'm still trusting in you."

In Christ's Love,

a guy who wants to know

even more firmly that

when my preferred answer

doesn't come, maybe

I still need to celebrate

because God must be doing

something better, because

God always does what is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment