Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sept 25 - Psalm 40:1

I waited patiently for the Lord;

he inclined to me and heard my cry

Psalm 40:1

"Incline" has a few meanings.

As a noun, it's a hill. (But we're not going to be talking about nouns!)

As a verb, "incline" is a motion. It is, indeed, a motion of the heart. What are you "inclined to" do? That's the same thing as saying, "What is your heart set on?"

Me ... ?

·       I'm inclined to ... turn on mediocre TV shows at bed time -- inoffensive little shows that are just interesting enough to take my mind off a busy day ... but not so interesting that it keeps me awake.

·       I'm inclined to ... cheer for the N. C. State Wolfpack -- especially since my son is a freshman at my old alma mater.

·       I'm inclined to ... support my sons.

·       I'm inclined to ... love my wife.

·       I'm inclined to ... serve my Lord.

·       I'm inclined to ... invite you to see the progression -- a motion of the heart to attend to deeper and more productive things.

As a verb, incline also means to bend down. “The father inclined to kiss his daughter on the head.” Indeed, “Good fathers are often inclined to incline to kiss their daughters” (Wow, two uses of the same word in one sentence. But do you get the two separate meanings?!)

In today's verse, God acts like a verb.

He inclines to us. It's a motion of his. heart. He's inclined to love you ... walk with you ... encourage you ... comfort you ... help you ... challenge you ... bless you ... enjoy you ...

He also bends down -- inclines. From the throne of heaven, God literally came (and still comes) down. He is walking beside you. He is carrying you when you can't carry on alone.

But did you notice the condition?

Read today’s verse again. The precondition for his coming down is our attentiveness, our “waiting” upon him. We are called to wait quietly. To wait patient.

This involves listening. It is sitting with his Word (because he speaks powerfully and personally through this Word of his).

Waiting patiently also includes a conversation -- prayer. After all, God inclines to us to hear us when we reach up to him in prayer.

In Christ's Love,

a busy guy who needs to

do better at patience and waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment