Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Sept 10 - Psalm 34:6

I cried out to the Lord

in my suffering, and he heard me.

He set me free from all my fears

Psalm 34:6

 

Tomorrow is 9/11. 

 

And we need to be aware that this day is much more than a grief-filled reminder for many Americans. This date also represents a rallying cry for many evil-intentioned people to inflict more terror. 

 

I suspect somewhere tomorrow blood will be shed. And I suspect someone will say it was in the name of a god. And I suspect that someone will gleefully admit that this was for the purpose of terror. 

 

If you believe news reports, tomorrow may involve several currently missing jets "reappearing" (perhaps violently) over Europe. 

 

Alternatively, it may involve several home-grown American plots, striking perhaps at our electrical grid. 

 

Are you prepared?

 

If you've ever been close to anyone who was diagnosed with cancer, one of the worst words a doctor can utter is, "metastasis." Sadly, that's the world-wide diagnosis from our military leaders. For example, America's Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has been talking lately about the metastasizing terror movement in the Middle East, describing it as "an organization that has an apocalyptic, end-of-days strategic vision." 

 

That's a secular, political diagnosis: "an apocalyptic, end-of-days vision." 

 

Are you prepared?


I'm tempted to ask if you have enough drinking water to last for a week or food to last for a month. If our power grid goes down it would seem catastrophic in a nation whose greatest value seems to be comfort. 


But I hope you know that the greater issues are spiritual.


At Spirit of Joy we frequently sing Isaiah 43 - the assurance that even when. we pass through fires and trials, God will be with us. 


But in the midst of geopolitical turmoil, Isaiah 40 and Psalm 11 give us an even higher perspective: "The Lord is in His holy temple ... He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth... Surely the nations [and the armies and all the prime ministers and all the temporary terror groups are like a drop in the bucket" (Ps 11:4, Isa 40:22,15).

 

In a world of fear and panic, you and I hold the trump card. Faith trumps fear. Love trumps hatred. Hope trumps terror. And heaven trumps hell. 

 

As Pastor Ron Hutchcraft says, "for those of us who belong to King Jesus, it's a time to charge, not retreat. To live like heaven is home and earth is just my hotel. Pouring my life and resources into what will matter forever, not just for a fleeting moment. Like helping the people around me be ready for eternity."

 

In Christ's Love,

"a doomsday prepper"

(not because I'm hoarding food

or collecting weapons;

I'm prepared because 

God is on my side, and 

I know who wins in the end!)

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment