Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sept 26 - Psalm 40:10

I have not hidden your

saving help within my heart,

I have spoken of your

faithfulness and your salvation;

I have not concealed

your steadfast love and

your faithfulness from

the great congregation.

Psalm 40:10

What is the most important word in this verse?

Most modern Americans would say that it is "I."

Look at it. There are essentially three sentences in this one verse.  And (at least in this translation) each of these "sentences" starts with the word "I" -- "I have done this," and "I haven't done that," and "I sure won’t do the other thing."

It would be natural, therefore, for us modern Americans to suppose that this verse is about me, myself, I, and each of us individually.

But before we rush to focus on "our," "ourselves," “me,” and "we," let's stop for a moment and notice the second "person" in this verse. Yes, before we point to ourselves, let's focus first on God's role in this Psalm (and in our lives).

According to Psalm 40:10, what does God offer to us?

·       His "saving help" for us

·       His "faithfulness" to us

·       His gift of "salvation" upon us

·       and His "steadfast love" toward us

God is generous to us. Indeed, although every one of these "sentences" begins with "I," the actor in these "sentences" is not "me," "us," or "we." The actor is God. He is saving, helping, loving, and faithful. And the "I" in this verse simply responds to this generosity ...

·       because God is faithful (first), I, therefore, should speak of his generosity and integrity (in response).

·       because God saves (first), I should (in response) proclaim God's powerful, saving work.

·       because God (first) rescues me, I shall never keep this help hidden (in response).

·       and because God's love is (first) steadfast and true, I shall never (in response) conceal the wonder of his grace.

God initiates … and we respond.

Here’s the point: Scripture is always and ultimately about God. Our place is not a starring role. At best we respond. And our response of worship, service, proclamation, and truth telling is truly the best we can ever give.

In Christ's Love,

a guy who responds by

shifting my praising mouth into drive

(instead of my brain into neutral)

No comments:

Post a Comment