Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Apr 3 - Jeremiah 20:11

The Lord is with me as
a mighty, awesome one.
Jeremiah 20:11

One of the most important themes in scripture is, “God is with us.”

Matthew’s Gospel reinforces this theme repeatedly – beginning, middle, and end.
  •      22 All this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet: 23 "Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel," which means, "God is with us."
  •      18:20 Jesus said, “Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them." 
  •      28:19 Jesus said, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations … 20 … And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

In today’s lesson, Jeremiah makes this point as well, and then he adds something: “The Lord is with [us].” The question is … how? “As a mighty, awesome one.”

In other places in scripture, God is pictured as a law-giver, a comforter, a guide, and a friend. Today, however, Jeremiah presents our Lord in powerful way --  he is mighty, he is awesome, he is one – indeed, “the one”!

In my life with my wife, I need different things at different times. Sometimes I need someone to help me. Other times I need someone to comfort me. Still other times I need someone to kick me in the seat of my pants and pick up my slack. She’s always the same person, but at different times in our life, we need different aspects.

In the 20th chapter of Jeremiah, comfort was needed. It was a time of persecution. And one of the greatest comforts to those who are embattled is to know that the one who is with [us] is mighty and awesome. He cannot be defeated!

Do you ever need that comfort?

In Christ’s Love,
A guy who likes the phrase
“Me + God = an Overwhelming Majority”















No comments:

Post a Comment