Thursday, April 25, 2013

Apr 25 - Act 4:8

Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, …
“Let it be known to all of you, and to all the people of Israel,
that this [once lame] man is standing before you
in good health by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth,
whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead.
Acts 4:8,10

Peter was filled with the Spirit on Pentecost day. His life was forever altered. But now, in chapter 4, he’s filled again.

Wait! What does that mean?
  •  Does the Spirit come and go? (No.)
  •  Or do we leak? (That’s much closer to the truth!)

Let me give you an analogy …

When I eat out for breakfast, I often order a cup of coffee. It is my “possession.” While I’m at the restaurant, I partake of this liquid gift freely and joyfully. Even better, I am entitled to a fresh filling whenever I want.

But a strange thing eventually happens. If I sit at the breakfast table too long I eventually start putting my hand over the coffee cup whenever the waitress comes by. A small bladder and the caffeine shakes limit my desire to keep consuming.

Apply those images to the filling of the Spirit.
  •  From the moment I believe, the Spirit is my “possession.” (More accurately, I am His possession! But his indwelling is given as a permanent gift to all who believe.)
  •  I may partake of the blessings of the Spirit freely and joyfully. And I am entitled to a new and fresh filling whenever I want!
  •  But, if that is the case, why don’t we always experience more love, joy, peace, patience, Spirit, and power, if we’ve been promised it?
  •  It’s because we regularly put our hands over the cup of our heart when the waitress (the Spirit) comes by. And we say, “Not now.”

What do I mean by that?
  •  Sometimes I want to do what I want to do. So I put my hand up and say, “Not right now, Spirit.”
  •  Sometimes I am tempted by fleshly desires. So I put my hand up, pretending to cover God’s eyes, as if that keeps the Spirit from seeing.
  •  Sometimes I don’t really want to forgive … at least, not yet. So I shake my finger at God, saying, “Don’t you understand, I’m justified in my anger.”
  •  Sometimes grief and losses harden my heart. It’s like a hard shell forms over my cup of blessing, keeping me from receiving more light, joy, Spirit, and faith.

Pain in life puts up barriers. Sinful desires put up barriers. Lust, greed, pride, and stubbornness put up barriers. And while the Spirit is dwelling within me – entitling me to endless refills of hope, grace, and power – I, nevertheless and too often, put my hand over the cup of my heart. I limit the amount, not God.

Again, this is not an occasion for guilt, it’s an invitation to call upon the waitress – the Spirit of God – and tell him you’re thirsty for more and more living water.

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who drinks his coffee
with cream and sugar
(and wants his Spirit
with truth and grace)





No comments:

Post a Comment