Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Apr 16 - Isaiah 43:13

Yes, and from ancient days I am he.
No one can deliver out of my hand.
When I act, who can reverse it?
Isaiah 43:13

I am not a Hebrew scholar. (Indeed, very far from it.) And my quick glance at commentaries doesn’t say whether what I’m thinking is right or not. But, with that said, do you know how I hear this verse?

God declares: From ancient times, I AM.

For proper English, we feel the need to answer “I am” with a “what?” For example, “He is mighty,” “He is holy,” “He is wonderful.” And God could genuinely be saying, “I am … He!” (I’m not the Hebrew scholar.)

Nevertheless, if you remember back to Exodus 3 when Moses asked God for his name, God didn’t fill in the blank. He didn’t say, “I am gracious and merciful,” “I am slow to anger,” or even, “I am abounding in steadfast love.” No, God simply said,

“I AM.”

Sometimes our limited minds need to fill in the blank with some details.

Other times we just need to stand back in awe and say, “Whoa! He is! Period!”

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who likes the
King James for this verse:
“before the day was, I am …”
(He pre-dates everything!)

No comments:

Post a Comment