Saturday, May 26, 2012

May 26--REVIVING: Reflecting on Deeper Life

Rest in the Lord, and
wait patiently for him.
Psalm 37:7

This week was busy. Exhausting – though wonderfully so. But I awoke this morning with a renewed energy. How about you?

I heard someone describe recently a truth about rest and refreshment. The biggest barrier to renewal is rut and routine. For most of us, every week is more or less the same – work, chores, errands, exhaustion. And when we’re not wearing deep ruts into the road of life, we’re wearing deep ruts and butt prints in our easy chair – which is where we fall when we’re exhausted at the end of each day.

Rut and routine kill. But refreshment comes when we do something out of the ordinary! We stretch our brain cells and utilize different skills. It’s like tackling something physical. After a big project, our muscles may be tired … but it’s a good tired!!! We feel good about ourselves and more grateful for that night’s rest.

Much of this week was like physical exercise. My brain cells were flexing. My faith was stretching. By the end of those days, my spiritual muscles were sore. But as I finished each day – wonderfully changing my ruts and routines – I was more grateful for each day and more grateful for each night.

And then as I awoke this morning, I found that I was praying more deeply than I have in ages. I’d been resting in the Lord, and I literally awoke praying! My unconscious spirit blended with my conscious spirit.

I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of my ruts, and I want to keep up this rich spiritual exercise. I don’t want to be like the people who go to the gym once or twice, then go back to wearing ruts on couch. Tomorrow is a possible step one. See you between services – if you’d like – as we plan to study Pastor Chotka’s book.

In Christ’s Love,
a guy whose exercise
helps him rest even better

No comments:

Post a Comment