Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20 - Lamentations 5:21

Deeper Life Conference Tonight
Potluck 5:30, Conference 6:30



Restore us to yourself, O Lord
Lamentations 5:21

What does restore mean … or at least imply? It means that …

once something is right
now something is wrong
and somehow we want
to get back to what’s right.

Have you had seasons in life – spiritually – when all seemed right? I hope so!!! I hope there are always areas in your faith that just seem right.

At the same time, however, do you have areas in your life that are “not quite right”? Rarely am I completely right or completely wrong.

Usually, my faith is like a bunch of seagulls on the ocean. As they float upon the waves, one moment some birds are up and others are down. Other times, other birds are up and other birds are down. That’s my spirit. Sometimes one part of my faith is up while another is down. Other times, other parts are up and others are down.

But here’s the worst part of faith upon the waves. Sometimes one or two of things – griefs, doubts, sins – threaten to pull us completely under. Therefore, “Restore us,” is the desperate plea.

Now … notice the direction of the plea. Although I usually try to fix things myself, I shouldn’t be crying, “Ed, restore yourself.” Rather, I should be crying, “Restore me … restore us … to yourself, O Lord.”

It’s God – not us – who heals our hurts, soothes our griefs, renews our faith, and forgives our sins. Therefore, we should cry, “Restore us to yourself, O Lord.”

In Christ’s Love,
A guy who’s seasick
And wants to get off the waves
(O Lord, place my feet on solid ground)



No comments:

Post a Comment