Tuesday, May 29, 2012

John 17:3 - Week 1 Day 3

Jesus said,
“Now this is eternal life,
that they may know you.”
John 17:3

When does eternal life begin?

The unthinking response is understandable: “When we die.”

Jesus redefines that today’s verse. It’s “when we know God.” It’s a relationship that begins here and never, ever, ever will end!

The question, therefore, is when – precisely – do we know God? Some analogies may help.

·         I know about President Obama, but I certainly don’t know Barack Obama.
·         I “know” my doctor, but I don’t really know my doctor.  
·         I know the family that’s been visiting our church, but I really don’t know them and they really don’t know me.
·         I do, however, know my son Robbie. I have a relationship with him. It is daily … and it has been daily for years.

Do you know God … or do you know about God? Whoa. Big question!

Author Philip Ryken says, “The reward for … prayer is prayer itself. … Prayer does not simply maintain the Christian life, it is the Christian life.” Or to blend that with Jesus words, “prayer is eternal life.”

Prayer is knowing God – intimately, personally, daily, and hopefully for an ongoing period of years. And as Philip Ryken’s statement suggests, the Christian life is not about going to church or studying your Bible – though those are good things – it’s knowing God personally … and we do that through prayer.

I don’t know about you, but I need to slow down the busyness so that I may more personally know – not just know about – my Father.

In Christ’s Love,
A guy who wants to
begin eternal life today
(without getting hit by a bus)

No comments:

Post a Comment