Monday, January 9, 2012

Jan 9 - Psalm 63:6

God, I think of you on my bed,
and meditate on you
in the watches of the night.
Psalm 63:6
For some of us, sleep comes easy.
Others of us are awake at different hours of the night.
Do you remember the tower guards in the old movies. What did they cry? "3 o'clock, and all is well."
Is that what you're crying when you can't sleep at 3 am?
I must confess that when I'm awake at o-dark-thirty, it's often the burdens of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow that trouble me. The antidote to restless-brain-syndrome is prayer.
It is meditating on the fact that God is big and powerful and creator. It is confidently considering that he took care of this world long before I was born, and he'll take care of his people long after my earthly flesh is gone.
I know there are physical reasons we can't sleep, but sometimes sleep is trust. Yesterday we talked about power. Do you trust him to run the universe while you're away from the controls for a few minutes?
In Christ's Love,
a guy who's learning to say at night,
"Okay, God; why'd you wake me tonight?"
(I'm learning better to pray
as I cuddle back into my Father's arms.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment