Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Jan 24 - Psalm 42:1-2a

As the deer longs
for the waterbrooks,
so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God.
Athirst for the living God.
Psalm 42:1-2a
I can to the scriptures thirsty this morning. My soul was a little parched. I felt like faith was my work. Psalm 42 reminds me of God's "preventient" work in blessing my faith.
I know. I know. "Prevenient" is a weird, old-fashioned word. It means essentially that God is graciously intervening in my faith and life pre- (before) I ever do.
To put that another way, God acts before I act, in matters of my faith. Indeed, God is more thirsty for a relationship with me than I am for a relationship with him.
  • He created the deer.
  • He created the need and the deer's thirst.
  • He also created the stream -- the answer to the deer's desperate prayer.
God is acting preveniently in our lives too ...
  • He created you (and me) as his precious children.
  • He created our spiritual need and thirst.
  • He also created the answer to our most desperate prayers -- meaning, hope, joy, pardon, and purpose.
God provides for you and me a river of life which bubbles up into a fountain of joy. Are you as thirsty for that as I am?!
In Christ's Love,
a thirsty deer with
how many points on his antlers
(I'll say it before you do:
I usally don't have a point)

No comments:

Post a Comment