Thursday, January 12, 2012

Jan 12 - Psalm 7:1

O Lord my God,
in you I take refuge;
save me from all my pursuers
and deliver me
or like a lion
they will tear me apart
Psalm 7:1-2
It's ironic that this is today's verse.
Each day I'm emailed semi-random Bible verses for my devotion, and I say that today's verse is ironic because I was praying with a friend about this topic just a day or two ago.
Like David, this friend was being chased by "a lion."
Now, like David, this person's ravenous foe was surely human, angry, spiteful, and sinful. But this vengeful human was surely not alone, because "like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour" (1 Pet 5:8).
Do you feel like your being chased by circumstances, pursued by illness, hunted by creditors, stalked by depression, enslaved by bad habits, or ripped apart by gossip?
You're not alone.
David's hope was not clever plans, better doctors, or human intervention. He cried, "10 God is my shield. He saves the upright in heart ... 17 [Therefore,] I will ... sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High."
In Christ's Lord,
a guy who knows
a lion tamer

No comments:

Post a Comment