Saturday, October 8, 2011

Oct 8 - Luke 7:19

[They asked Jesus]
"Are you the one who is to come,
or are we to wait for another?"
Luke 7:19
John the Baptist was the long-prophesied forerunner of the Messiah. Ironically, even he, however, had to ask Jesus if he was "the one who is to come."
John was probably deeply buoyed by Jesus' answer. The Messiah didn't simply say, "Yes"; rather, he answered by pointing to scripture. Tying together the messianic prophecies of Isaiah -- 29:18-19, 35:5-6, 42:18, 61:1 -- Jesus said,
"Go and tell John
what you have seen and heard:
the blind receive their sight,
the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed,
the deaf hear, the dead are raised,
the poor have good news brought to them.
And blessed is anyone
who takes no offense at me."
Luke 7:22-23
What are the "proofs" you use not only to ground your faith, but to witness to others? I mean, if someone asked, "Why do you believe?" What would you say?
I would list several things:
  • Head: Faith helps me make logical sense of the world. Let me show you how ...
  • Help: Jesus and his principles give me the wisdom to lead a life of purpose and grace. Let me show you how he doest this ...  
  • Hope: Faith gives us tremendous courage because faith gives us hope. Let me tell you about the power (or lack of power) at the hundreds of hospital rooms and grave sites and job losses and griefs that I've walked with people through ...
  • Healing: I've seen people literally healed. More often, I've seen faith help people deal confidently with news realities. Let me tell you stories of healing ...
  • Heart (and this is the most important): I've seen faith change peoples lives -- including mine. Let me tell you a story ...
In Christ's Love,
a guy who confidently proclaims 
"He is the One"

No comments:

Post a Comment