Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oct 12 - Luke 9:3

Take nothing for your journey,
no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money --
not even an extra tunic
Luke 9:3
When I go on trips, I'm not a heavy packer. Indeed, most times I'd rather not go somewhere if I have to spend too much time getting ready.
For that same reason, I'm not a real light packer either. Why? Because packing too carefully violates the same principle -- if I have to spend too much time thinking through every scenario and getting perfectly ready, I'd still rather not go.
Therefore, I'm a quick, medium, mediocre packer ... who'll probably never gone as light as the bagless disciples!
What was Jesus saying as he sent his disciples out on their first mission adventure? He was saying, "Trust in the Lord. See if he'll provide."
When you and I pack, we are generally trusting in ourselves. Did I bring the right rain gear? Did I bring the moleskin in case I get a blister? Did I bring a little reading light, so I won't wake anyone when I can't sleep the first night?
In general that's wise. But in general we're not going forward with the same purposes as the Luke-9-Disciples. They are going forward, not only to represent Jesus, but do to exactly what Jesus was doing. They were going "2 out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal."
The wisdom of heaven would proceed from their lips. The power of God would flow from their touch. And if the disciples had suitcases and provisions, they wouldn't have to depend on the Lord for everything. Indeed, without trusting completely in the Lord, heaven's power wouldn't have miraculously flowed in and through them.
Next time you or I go on a big trip, we should still pack a suitcase! BUT why not try going out somewhere, somehow, depending on nothing but God?
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants to be
a naked missionary
... figuratively, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment