Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oct 4 - Mark 2:3-5

Four men arrived carrying a paralyzed man on a mat.
They couldn't get to Jesus through the crowd,
so they dug through the clay roof above his head.
Then they lowered the sick man on his mat,
right down in front of Jesus.
Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man,
"My son, your sins are forgiven."
Mark 2:3-5
There is no greater joy than giving a gift that is an absolutely delight. You can see it through the spontaneous expression of surprise and joy written on the persons face.
When I think about that, I think -- with embarrassment -- of all the times when surprise and delight were not written on my face. I'm still sometimes like an eight-year-old boy who pouts, "Oh ... socks ... Thanks, Grandma ... Just what I needed."
I think the man in todays story would have been like the eight-year-old me. All the way to Capernaum, the friends carrying the stretcher were surely talking about the Healer-from-Nazareth who could make the lame walk. They dug through the roof. Dropped their friend in front of Jesus. Jesus was supposed to say, "Get up and walk." But the healer said, "Your sins are forgiven."
"Oh ... forgiveness ... Thanks, Grandma ... Just what I needed."
Since all our physical ills will be permanently restored when we get to heaven, our greatest real need is forgiveness -- a foregiveness that washes away sin and punches our ticket to heaven. But is that what we most want? We want the physical. We want the temporary.
All of the physical blessings in this life -- health and home and property -- are signs of God's gracious love. But they're ultimately here today and gone tomorrow. So let's not forget the greatest gift: an underserved forgiveness that cost Christ his live and opens the gates to heaven.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who NEEDS less holey socks
and a more holy thankfulness
for all Christ has done for me

No comments:

Post a Comment