Monday, May 9, 2011

May 9 - Psalm 23:6

Surely goodness and mercy
shall follow me all the days of my life
Psalm 23:6
 
In a prayer study I'm reading, T. W. Hunt shared his version of the 23rd Psalm. Saying that he's been in scholarly environments most of his life, he said that generally thinks of God as a teacher and prays: "The Lord is my Professor," he wrote.
 
He then challenged us to write our own version.
 
The first step, he said, is to determine who God is to you.
  • Is he a Teacher, and you a Student?
  • Is he a Master, and you a Servant?
  • Is he is Boss, and you an Employee?
  • Is he a King, and you a Subject?
  • Is he a Parent, and you a Child?
  • Is he a Potter, and you the Clay?
  • Is he a Trial Guide, and you a Follower?
  • Is he a Craftsman, and you an Apprentice?
  • Is he a Friend, and you a Friend too?
When I wrote my version (which is below), I determined that I think of God in three ways -- a teacher, a provider, and one who challenges me and pushes me to grow. A Father does all of these things. Therefore ...
 
The Lord is my shepherd;
The Lord is my Father.
I shall not want.
For my needs, a provider.
 
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He tucks me in at night. 
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He leads me to places of refreshing delight.
He restoreth my soul:
And he always helps my faith grow aright.
 
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Because of my dad's wisdom and guidance,
I bear his name proudly with family reverence.
 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
While this whole world is full of too much darkness and drear.
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
When I'm with my Pop, I do not fear.
 
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
His discipline is quick and it's certainly real.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
But even that is welcome like a home-cooked meal, 
because evil attacks our weakness with uncommon zeal.
 
thou anointest my head with oil;
I am thankful my Father pours his blessings upon me.
my cup runneth over.
And nurtured, my gifts tend to overflow freely.
 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
His lovingkindness makes me forever secure.
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
I abide in his grace, thankful and pure.
 
Try writing your own!
 
In Christ's Love,
the son of my Father

No comments:

Post a Comment