Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 3 - 2 Samuel 12:13

Then David confessed to Nathan,
"I have sinned against the Lord."
Nathan replied, "Yes, but
the Lord has forgiven you ..."
2 Samuel 12:13
 
In our Bible in Year readings, we have three days in a row on David's sin Bathsheba. I hope that shows what a big deal this whole event is!
 
David was THE man after God's own heart. Arguably, he was the most faithful human (besides Jesus) who ever lived. And yet he fell ... and fell spectacularly.
 
In fact, notice how David's sin was progressive. His laziness (didn't go out with the armies as he was "supposed" to -- 11:1) ... led to adultery (11:4) ... which led to deceit (11:6-9 and 12-13) ... which led to murder (11:14-17) ... which led to self-justification (David felt justified in marrying the widow, 11:26-27).
 
But today we have the best part of the whole story -- confession and forgiveness. As it says in Romans 3 and 1 John 1, All of us sin and fall short of the glory of God. Fortunately, we are not justified by our works (nor condemned by our failures). Rather, if we confess our sins, God who is faithful and just will forgive our sins and declare us just by his grace.
 
Therefore, as your closing prayer for day, pray with David, Psalm 51. And notice the tiny print that leads into it tells us prayer: A psalm of David, regarding the time Nathan the prophet came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.
 
1 Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
blot out the stain of my sins.
2 Wash me clean from my guilt. ...
3 For I recognize my shameful deeds
-- they haunt me day and night.
4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your sight. ... 
6 But you desire honesty from the heart ...
7 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
 
8 Oh, give me back my joy again ...
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a right spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
and don't take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me again the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who needs to be re-created

No comments:

Post a Comment