Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 22 - Psalm 127

H O W   T O   H E A R   T H E   V O I C E   O F   G O D

Too many people say that "they try and try, but can't hear God."
For the next several days, I want to share with you a technique
I've learned from T. W. Hunt in "The Disciples Prayer Life."
It's a three-step process: 1) read a passage of scripture,
2) ask "What God is saying to me?" (each day I'll give fewer hints),
3) pray, "What I am saying to God?" (reflecting what God said to you).
PASSAGE OF SCRIPTURE
1 Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord protects a city, guarding it with sentries will do no good. 2 It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones. --Psalm 127
WHAT GOD IS SAYING TO ME?
  1. VERSE 1 - If you ever feel like you're living your life in vain, God has an alternative.
  2. VERSE 1 - The alternative to a life lived in vain is building our life on God.
  3. VERSE 2 - Feeling "anxious[]" and "useless" and working "from early morning til late at night" is a timeless epidemic.
  4. VERSE 2 - God's "rest" (including Sabbath rest) is God's "gift" to us and a hopeful alternative to perpetual human exhaustion.
WHAT I AM SAYING TO GOD?
  1. Lord, my life seems in vain in these ways: _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
  2. Lord, these are the ways in which I want to make changes and build my life more fully on you: _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
  3. Lord, I confess my exhaustion and living my life in ways that are "out-of-balance." _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
  4. God, grant me true rest ... and a refreshment that comes from finally resting in you. _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ 
  5. additional prayers _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

No comments:

Post a Comment