Sunday, February 18, 2018

Lent - Feb 19 - 1 Corinthians 10:23

N a t h a n   D a v i s

Monday, February 19

1 Corinthians 10:23

“All things are lawful,” but

not all things are helpful.

“All things are lawful,” but

not all things build up.”

 

Like most Americans, I rarely ever practiced many of the spiritual disciplines. So, when I had the opportunity to partake in World Vision’s 30 Hour Famine in high school, I was delighted. This was a time to practice a discipline Americans never face as a matter of course, while helping those in need. And I discovered fasting from food was more difficult for me than it is for others. I wanted my fast to be a spiritual time of coming closer to God and others.

 

It wasn’t. After 24 hours, I was eating in order to have the strength to continue doing the activities they had planned and not be “hangry” at others.

 

I felt defeated.

 

After that experience, this verse has played an important part in the consideration of fasting. While I have engaged in fasts for a variety of reasons since then, from food, from coffee, from electronics, I always remember that something that is good, like fasting, may not be profitable if I cannot do it in a manner that loves others and glorifies God.

 

As you consider this Lentin season, and partake of the discipline of fasting, consider what is edifying, consider what is profitable for those around you.

 

It is lawful to fast. It is lawful not to fast. All things are lawful.

 

Bring these questions to the Lord in prayer: Is it profitable and edifying for me to fast? To not fast?

 

And, in what manner can I practice Lent this year to edify others and bring glory To God?

 

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

 

Nathan Davis

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment