Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Ash Wed - Feb 14 - Joel 2:13

G a r y   T h i e m a n n

Ash Wednesday, February 14

Joel 2:13

Rend your heart

and not your garments.

Return to the LORD your God,

for He is gracious and

compassionate, slow to anger

and abounding in love, and

He relents from sending calamity.

 

Here Joel pleads with the people of Israel to repent and turn from wickedness and evil before God sends the massive and powerful Assyrian Army (compared to a swarm of locusts larger than any in the world to date in prior verses) to destroy them and devour their land.  This is is a common theme throughout the Old Testament.  It reflects the inability of the Israelites to live in alignment with God’s will given through Moses and the commandments in a consistent manner.  

 

This reminds me of my walk of faith with the Lord.  Earlier in life I didn’t always consider what God might be telling me. In fact, I remember actively deciding I was going to do what I wanted knowing that it may not please God but thinking I would get back in touch with Him when I was ready.  This led to me pursuing the selfish pleasures of life which did nothing to truly satisfy my soul.  I’m convinced that what allowed me to drift from God was a missing heart/love connection with Him. 

 

Joel says ‘Rend your heart and not your garments.’  We are not to go through the motion of a ritual of repentance without truly being convicted of our sin.  If we have a heart-felt loving relationship with God, our souls will seek reconciliation with Him through promptings of Holy Spirit and we will rend our hearts.  ‘Return to the LORD your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, ’

 

Father, give us a heart for you and your ways through your Word and your promptings.  In Jesus name.

 

Your Brother in Christ,

Gary Thiemann

 

No comments:

Post a Comment