Saturday, January 17, 2015

Jan 16 - Psalm 54:2-4

O God, listen to my prayer.

Pay attention to my plea.

For strangers are attacking me;

violent men are trying to kill me.

They care nothing for God.

But God is my helper.

The Lord is the one

who keeps me alive!

Psalm 54:2-4

Look at the last word in today's verse. Then answer this question: Are you alive?

Maybe we have more to be thankful about than we sometimes remember to remember!

Now look at the first works of today's verses. When do we usually cry, "O God, listen to my prayer. Pay attention to my plea." When? When we are in peril. Therefore, remembering to be thankful for life itself -- and "the Lord ... who keeps me alive" -- keeps our pleas and prayers from being so desperate.

Yes, we should still pray. David absolutely knew that God was his protector, yet he himself was still praying. Yes, David knew his situation was dire -- see the notation at the beginning of this Psalm; it says that this was "a meditation of David, regarding the time the Ziphites came and said to Saul, 'We know where David is hiding.'"

David cried, "strangers are attacking me; violent men are trying to kill me." Yes, he was being hunted, but he wasn't helpless. Why? Because "the Lord is the one who keeps me alive!"

Challenged ... but not hopeless.

And what was his response? He prayed.

In Christ's Love,

a hopeful guy who knows

what to do when challenged





No comments:

Post a Comment