Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Jan 15 - Psalm 53:3-5

No one does good, not even one!

Will those who do evil never learn?

They eat up my people like bread;

they wouldn't think of praying to God.

But then terror will grip them [and ...]

Psalm 53:3-5

I added the "and" at the end.

My question is: "and then what?"

If the two great commandments are "love God" and "love neighbor" (Mt 22:37-39), then according to this Psalm, those who are "evil" violate commandment number two by "eat[ing] up [godly] people like bread." And worse, they violate commandment one by not even "think[ing] of praying to God." (That's the worst form of not loving God. By not even thinking about prayer, we deny his power, purpose, presence, and existence.)

"5 But then terror will grip them," says the Psalm. Indeed, eventually terror, grief, turmoil, illness, and pain will grip us all.

And then what?

What if there's no one to help. What if we've alienated all the people around us? What if we've steadfastly denied the God who can give us rest?

God is gracious and merciful. He forgives all who repent. But I don't know about you, but I don't want to wait til a crisis to see if I can count on another "person's" friendship (God or neighbor). I want to enjoy their friendship and blessings everyday.

In Christ's Love,

a guy who may occasionally

get eaten like bread in this life

... but I'm not worried because

I'm friends with the Bread of Life

(Jesus)




No comments:

Post a Comment