Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Wk 1, Day 1 - 50 Days of Prayer - John 5:30

Jesus said,
I can do nothing of my own initiative. …
Therefore, I do not seek my own will,
but the will of him who sent me.
John 5:30

Welcome to 50 Days of Prayer. For the next several weeks, my devotions will be based on the next step recommended to Spirit of Joy by our friend, Pastor David Chotka. You can find the resource by clicking here. Today we’re reading pages 4-9. The rest of the week we’ll reflect daily on one of the questions.

There is one thing more to do before getting started – Pick one thing to pray about! 50 Days of Prayer is a prayer resource written to a denomination that a year ago was choosing a new president. Therefore, when you see, “Pray for God to reveal our new president,” replace it with “God, open a door for a new job” or “Father, protect my wayward child” or “Lord, heal my marriage.” You probably have ten things on your prayer list. But pick just one! Why? We’re learning to focus, because focus can bring clarity.

Most of us would like to learn how to “hear God’s voice” – or “discern God’s voice,” which is Pastor David’s preferred term.

He starts today’s reading with the story of attending a prayer conference. A prayer partner, enthusiastic about discerning the voice of God, came up to him and said “prophetically,” “You’re a draftsman. You’re unemployed. And you’re depressed.” He said, “I’m a pastor. I have a job. And I’m joyfully content.” He says, “I think I ruined her day.”

The Bible talks about clarity, however, in discerning God’s voice. Jesus, in fact, should be our model. Though Jesus was God, Philippians 2:5-11 tells us that Jesus emptied himself of his divine nature – including his divine “knowing” – when he came to earth in human form.

And yet, HE DID KNOW! How?

In John 5:30 Jesus says, “I can do nothing of my own initiative. … Therefore, I do not seek my own will, but the will of him who sent me.”

How does Jesus hear and how does Jesus know? He aligns himself totally with God. How? One, he is grounded thoroughly in God’s word (look back, for example, to how he responded to the Devil’s temptations in the wilderness.) Second, he grounds himself through prayer. To Jesus, prayer is essential. And he listens and listens and listens … and then listens some more.

I’m glad it’s summer.

For many of us, the routines change. For right now, that’s a positive and powerful opportunity! Covenant with yourself and with God to craft a new routine for the next fifty days (and throughout summer).

There are three things more than any other that keep us from better and more listening prayer:

  1. BUSYNESS: As your summer routine takes shape, say “no” to a few good (and worldly) things, and say yes to more in quietness before God.
  2. NOISE: Most of us in this modern world can’t hear because it’s never quiet. Turn something off.
  3. COMMITMENT: It takes a couple of weeks to make a habit. Be purposeful and passionate in claiming time with God.


In Christ’s Love,
a guy who is covenanting
in a new and purposeful way
to turn off the noise
(we’ve already cut cable TV), and
and do less of the good so I can
focus more on God

No comments:

Post a Comment